What is a Chemical Engineer?
Chemical Engineers apply theoretical principles of chemistry, biology and engineering to research, develop and manufacture chemical compounds, drugs, fuel, food and many other products. They design detailed step-by-step processes for manufacturing of the chemicals and design safety procedures for working with dangerous substances.
Chemical Engineer Duties
- Providing technical knowledge & expertise to enable implementation of identified opportunities with a chemical process plant environment.
- Providing technical support to refinery operations.
- Monitoring and evaluating equipment performance.
- Troubleshooting equipment problems.
- Developing cost estimates, specifying required equipment.
- Planning for maintenance shutdowns.
- Liaise with the Project Engineering section to develop the plant design, layout, costing and proposals for authorisation.
- Organisation of design and commissioning work and requests for resources, to achieve the required Production budget.
- Advise other Engineers, Customers, Contractors and Consultants on technical matters covering design, safety, and materials of construction and processing techniques.
- Ensuring all chemical engineering work is in compliance with Statutory Regulations and Codes of Practice.
- Deciding the scope and extent of hazard assessment required relevant to the process, carrying out calculations, deciding on and implementing testing programmes to obtain further data, initiating and leading HAZOPs as required, and revising designs accordingly, and maintaining the risk assessment record system.
- Initiation, design, implementation and commissioning of Plant Modification Proposals, to modify existing plant.
- Perform maintenance and upgrade services on-site and at factory.
- Support and Partner with key clients to develop safety projects.
- Undertake Process Safety Consultancy and Training.
Common Skills and Requirements
Project Management, Analysis and Problem-Solving, Creativity, Communication, Attention to Detail
MATLAB, HYSYS, UNISIM, LABVIEW, SolidWorks, Python, MS Office
Average Chemical Engineer Salary
€60,000 – €80,000 per year
Chemical Engineer CV Examples
Chemical Engineering Graduate
- Research Assistant, Curtin University (Jan 2015 – Nov 2015)
- Engineering Intern, Ultracote Powdercoaters (Nov 2015 – Mar 2016)
- Transcriptionist, Independent Contractor (Jul 2015 – Present)
- Vulunteer Tutor, Nyabioto Junior School for Orphans (Nov 2014 – Mar 2015)
- Cashier, IGA (Altone Shopping Center) (Mar 2012 – Jun 2014)
- B.Eng Chemical Engineering, Curtin University (2012 – 2016)
MATLAB, IMAJEj/FIJI, MS Office
Formulation Control & Paint Testing Technician
- Formulation Control & Paint Testing Technician, Fujichem Sonneborn, London (Jan 2017 – Present)
- Quality Control Technician, Akzo Nobel Coatings SL (May 2015 – Dec 2016)
- Paint Project Assistant Engineer, Zanini Parets SL, Barcelona (Dec 2011 – Apr 2013)
- Meng Chemical Engineering, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain (2007 – 2013)
SAP, IFS, Hysys, Scilab, Polymath, Simulink, AutoCAD, SPSS, MS Office
Graduate Chemical Engineer
- Graudate Chemical Engineer, Forsyth’s Ltd (Sep 2013 – Dec 2015, Jan 2016 – Present)
- Industrial Placement Student, AB Mauri (May 2012 – Sep 2012)
- Master of Science, Sustainability Engineering, Heriot-Watt University
- Bachelor of Engineering, Chemical Engineering, University of Strathclyde
MS Office, Aspen HYSYS, Aspen Plus, AutoCAD, Mathcad
Chemical Engineer / Field Engineer
- Chemical Engineer, Quartz Industry of Guidoni, Brazil (Jul 2016 – Mar 2017)
- Field Engineer, Schlumberger, Brazil (Jul 2013 – Aug 2015)
- Intern in Process Control, Petroleo Brasileiro (Aug 2012 – Dec 2012)
- Intern in Quality Control, Sistema de Alimentos e Bebida do Brasil (Jan 2012 – May 2012)
- Masters in Chemical Processes, School of Chemistry, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (2018)
- BA in Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Espirito Santo (2013)
Statistica, Origin, HYSYS, MatLab, C++, MS Office
Graduate Process Engineer
- Graduate Process Engineer, BPE Design & Support Ltd (Jan 2018 – Mar 2018)
- Tutor, Explore Learning (Nov 2016 – Nov 2017)
- Course Development, University of Birmingham (Jan 2016 – Apr 2016)
- MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering (Merit), Imperial College London (2016 – 2017)
- Beng Chemical Engineering with Business Management, University of Birmingham (2013 – 2016)
MS Office, AutoCAD, Matlab, Aspen HYSYS, Dynochem