What is a Civil Engineer?
Civil Engineers create, plan and oversee construction for a wide range of projects. The projects usually involve the building of structures or development of infrastructure such as roads, bridges, railways, airports, water and sewage systems etc.
Civil Engineer Duties
- Liaise, negotiate and communicate with clients and external agencies.
- Structural analysis and design of buildings and technical delivery of projects with specific focus on those within seismic areas.
- Planning of tasks to ensure maximum efficiency and productivity, not only on the specific task being delivered, but within the department as a whole.
- Ensure all engineering/study/design documentation is correctly produced and securely filed, being submitted to the client within contract timescales.
- Assist with Compiling and issuing all necessary cost and schedule progress reports in line with company procedures and act in a timely manner to correct any issues likely to compromise achievement of required KPI’s or client satisfaction.
- Maximize productivity by identifying issues at the earliest opportunity to the Principal Civil Structural Engineer.
- Timely delivery of all civil and structural engineering requirements, whilst meeting all other associated KPI’s including, HSE, Quality, Productivity, Commercial, Customer Satisfaction.
- Adequate communication of all factors affecting the commercial position of the project/company.
- Work closely with the sales team to assist in the completion of tenders for large scale projects.
- Provide calculation packages for clients.
- Completion of site surveys to discuss designs and/or solutions with clients.
- Generate structural reports and structural load assessments.
- Use computers and computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- Providing regular updates to Director in relation to the planning, design and supervision of projects.
- Supervision of junior engineers, providing technical advice and support as needed.
Common Skills and Requirements
Communication, Leadership, Problem Solving, Time Management
MS Office, AutoCAD, MATLAB, SAP, Revit
Average Civil Engineer Salary
€35,000 – €50,000 per year
Civil Engineer CV Examples
Assistant Project Engineer / Civil Engineer
- Assistant Project Engineer, Amey (2016 – Present)
- Civil Engineer Supervisor / Civil Engineer, Buildeng (2015 – 2016)
- Civil Engineer, Spybuilding (2014 – 2015)
- Civil Engineer Trainee, Contencao (2013 – 2014)
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering – Construction, New University of Lisbon (2013)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering Sciences, New University of Lisbon (2010)
- Erasmus Programme, Czech Technical University in Prague (2012)
AutoCAD, MS Office, Matlab, Flir Tools, Hilti Ferroscan
Senior Infrastructure Engineer / Civil Engineer
- Senior Infrastructure Engineer, Buro Happold (May 2017 – Present)
- Infrastructure Engineer, Buro Happold (Mar 2014 – May 2016)
- Civil Engineer, Joannou & Paraskevaides (Aug 2012 – Aug 2013)
- Civil Engineer, Freelance Engineer (Dec 2011 – Aug 2012)
- Civil Engineer, Georgiou Atek (Nov 2005 – Dec 2011)
- Degree in Civil Engineering, Specialization in Structural Engineering, Democritus University of Thrace (Nov 2005)
AutoCAD, MS Project, MS Office, STAAD.Pro, Primavera
Technical Specialist / Civil Engineer
- Technical Specialist, Ministry of Urban Development and Tourism (May 2016 – Jun 2018)
- Civil Engineer, Mane Tci, May 2015 – May 2016)
- Technical Specialist, District of Prefecture Vlora (Sep 2012 – May 2015)
- Assistant Civil Engineer, B-93 (Oct 2011 – Mar 2012)
- Post-gratuade course, Evaluation of Immovable Properties, Polytechnic University of Tirana (Nov 2013 – Mar 2014)
- MSc., Civil Engineering (Structural Engineering), Polytechnic University of Tirana (2010 – 2012)
- BSc., Civil Engineering, Polytechnic University of Tirana (2006 – 2010)
Autocad, MS Office, Sap, Etabs, Microsoft Project, GIS
- Civil Engineer, Msunduzi LM (Sep 2017 – Present)
- Civil Engineer, Harry Gwala WSA (Sep 2017 – Present)
- Civil Engineer, WSDP development with DWS (Feb 2017 – Dec 2017)
- Civil Engineer, CSIR Redbook (Jul 2017 – Dec 2017)
- MEng Civil Engineering, University of Stellenbosch (2014 – 2016)
- BEng Civil Engineering, University of Sheffield (2009 – 2012)
- National Senior Certificate (Matric), Hoërskool Linden (2004 – 2008)
AutoCAD, Google Sketch-up, Bentley Redline, Microstation, MS Office, Prokon, Matlab
Civil & Structural Engineer
- Civil Engineer, INEOS (2017 – Present)
- Civil & Structural Engineer, Amec Foster Wheeler (2012 – 2017)
- Masters in Civil and Structural Engineering (MEng), University of Leeds, 2:1 (Hons), (2008 – 2012)
- Chartered Management Institute Level 3 Diploma in First Line Management (QCF) (2014 – 2017)
TEDDS, Bentley SACS, Bentley STAAD Pro, PROFIS, Smart Plant 3D, Simulia Abaqus FEA, SAP 2000, PDMS, MS Office, AutoCAD, Revit & Robot